Friday, January 3, 2014

Carrot and Apple Salad

I came up with this carrot and apple salad the other day, which is surprisingly light and delicious. I like carrots, and I rarely peel them because I know that's where most of the nutrients are, but man sometimes they really stump me. They can be bitter and almost too earthy and I'm not always in the mood for that. But having just gotten back from my holiday vacation there was very little food in the apartment. A bunch of carrots, a couple apples, some garlic, and an onion were all I had in the way of veggies. At first they didn't seem like a salad, but then suddenly they did. And it was good. Those veggies + mandolin = Voila!

Here's a rough recipe:

5 medium carrots, sliced on thinnest, 1/16", mandolin setting
1 small apple, sliced with 1/4" mandolin setting
1/2 small white onion, sliced on thinnest, 1/16", mandolin setting

vinaigrette:
2 ts dijon mustard
2-3 ts white wine or champagne vinegar
1 clove garlic, grated with a microplane
salt and pepper
1 1/2 - 2 tbs olive oil

Slice all veggies, maybe cutting the apple slices into smaller pieces afterwards
so they are more similar in size to the carrots. Mix all vinaigrette ingredients
together except oil, combine well, then add oil and mix to emulsify. Toss
everything together. Feeds 2-3 people.

It's basic, but delicious, and who knows? Maybe I'll further develop it. But as is it's going into my winter salad rotation, because kale or cabbage salad gets old after 5 months. Also, I guess if I am going to keep posting about food that I'm making I should probably also show some photos... but um, I'll work on that...

No comments :

Post a Comment