Thursday, September 25, 2014

Apples

It's that time of year. Apple time of year. When the first new season apples appear at the market toward the end of August they always make me a little sad. Not because of themselves, I love apples, but their presence means that summer is ending. It's usually still hot and beautiful and I'm not quite ready to let go yet. Summer is so fun, so loose, I want it to stay forever. I don't want to say goodbye to tomatoes and cucumbers and peaches and all of the summer produce. But you can't argue with nature. Apples are like last call at a bar, the party's about to be over.

The sadness is momentary though, I only resist until it actually cools off and I break out a scarf and put on that first pair of socks. Fall is, in the end, my favorite season. Just as climbing into a comfy bed after a night on the town feels so rewarding, fall comes and offers permission to hunker down. That's what we've got to look forward to in the coming months. Blankets and hot beverages and snuggles. That, and a whole lotta kale and turnips and apples from the market.


No comments :

Post a Comment